Saturday, August 15, 2009

Baby Steps



This picture was taken at my favorite place in the whole, entire world. I think. I haven't been all over the world, so as of right now, all I can say is that this is it, until further notice. We were in the middle of a nor'easter. Or maybe a hurricane. I can't remember. It was a bit cold out, and VERY windy. But I was determined to go, so I dragged my mother out with me, so that if I blew away, I wouldn't be blown away alone. Selfish, I know....

Moving on to the story of the day...

What I want to share with you today, is my experience with clothes shopping. Now, I remember that growing up, you got your clothes at Dollar General, Ames (while it was still open), or Roses. That was it. There was no Wal-Mart, there was no Peebles, no Fashion Bug. Nope. If you wanted a name brand, it looked like you were going on a trip "over the river". Here in Gloucester, years ago, that was a day-long trek. You packed like you were going to be gone for the weekend. You had to either pack lunch and dinner, or you had to bring along enough money to eat "over the river". Well, nowadays, we have clothes all over Gloucester County.


Except maternity clothes. None to be found. Nowhere. Period.

So off to a not-to-be-named maternity store in the town where I work. Now this place is very expensive. Although my idea of expensive and other people's idea of expensive is not the same. My friends make fun of me, because I am allergic to paying more than $8 for a shirt, and maybe $20 for jeans. I break out in hives! So I have a gift-certificate for this place. I go in this place saying to myself that I was NOT going to spend more than the total of that gift certificate. Now, this was not a cheap, $10 gift certificate, mind you. I walk into the store, and I am the only customer there, and you guessed it, they SWARMED! Only one of the ladies could "have me", so the one who got within arms reach first won. Or so she thought. She asked me so many questions, I felt like I was taking a pop quiz! I didn't study! Her last question to me was, "Where did you buy clothes before pregnancy?". I don't think she liked my answer. Wal-Mart. Her face was priceless. She then recovered, and proceeded to show me which racks have which type of clothing, asked (yet another question) what I was looking for specifically. So I told her I needed one pair of shorts and an almost dressy shirt. She showed me EVERYTHING in those categories, and as she was pulling things off racks and putting them in the dressing room that I had not even entered yet, I was busy trying to see the prices of these things. Then, I saw one. $44.95. WOW. That was for a pair of shorts! Never in my entire life have I EVER payed such prices!!!!! So, in the dressing room I am shooed, having not even had a chance to look at the racks myself, the dressing room already filled with 4 pairs of shorts, 3 pairs of pants, 4 bras, 1 camisole and 1 shirt. I did actually pick out the shirt on the way to the dressing room. How or why she didn't have more waiting for me, is beyond me. Maybe she hadn't gotten that far yet. The dressing room was about 102 degrees, by the time I had gotten through 2 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of pants and then the shirt, I was sweating like a mule! Meanwhile, the lady was STILL BRINGING ME CLOTHES!

Already very long story short, (I could go on and on and on) I didn't even try everything on, came out with 1 pair of shorts, and my 1 shirt, picked up a pack of undies, and still had to pay $12. Needless to say, I felt like a raccoon being treed by 5 dogs. They gave me dirty looks as I put my measly purchase up on the counter.

I vote for Wal-Mart to bring back their Maternity Line.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. Noe Noe Girl - Thanks for visiting!! I am due on 11-30, although it feels like any day! I love being pregnant, went through alot to get here this time, BUT, I'm ready to meet this little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am happy for you! I cant wait to meet the little guy either! And I am close enough that I will be able to babysit!
    I loved being pregnat too- My Little T is now 11 and the apple of my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Target has a maternity section, at least the one over by Water Country does.

    I hate spending big money for clothes too. That's why I hit the Kohls (or even Peebles) end of season clearance sale - 80% off. I can get a nice shirt for $4 and a pair of pants for $6-8. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noe Noe Girl - My first son is 13 1/2!!

    CBW - I will have to go in Target sometime, there is one near where I work. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete