Friday, September 4, 2009

Flashback Friday


Today I am going to "Flashback" to approximately 1983. That year I was 9. Now I could be off by a couple years, but that's OK, it doesn't change the story at all.
I am the youngest and the only girl. When I say the youngest, I mean when I was born, my 4 brothers were 17, 19, 21, and 23. Needless to say, I grew up with my nephews. I also have 4 of those. One is 2 years older, one 1 year older, one the same age and one 1 year younger. They were always finding new ways to terrorize me. That was their job, and their goal in life. They were good at it, too.
Back then, we lived in Ware Neck on a small farm. On that farm we had cows, sometimes horses, pigs, chickens, ducks, rabbits, and pheasants. There were several small barns, and one little house-like building. It was about 10 feet by 10 feet. (It may have been smaller, you know how things get smaller the older you get. ) Well that little building had been home to the chickens for a while, and the rabbits for a while (we had alot of rabbits, but that's a different blog). But now it was kinda a little playhouse for me and my niece (she is 3 years younger). The only problem was that I didn't like playing in there, because there were spiders the size of Texas, spiderwebs, and tons of other assorted bugs. All of them Texas-size or bigger. I was terrified of spiders and bugs, of any size (still am).
So my ever-so-loving nephews one day decided they needed to send me in there to get something, I can't remember what, so I dutifully (and stupidly) went on in to get what I had been sent for. I walked in, and the door closed behind me. My nephews had locked me in!! I screamed bloody murder for what seemed like days on end, although I'm sure it was only a few hours, OK, a few minutes....
Finally one of my big brothers heard me and came to rescue me. Not a moment too soon! I know the big spiders were eyeing me up, thinking dinner had just been served! Of all my childhood memories, this was one of the most terrifying one that I have.
Yes, that was a mile long, wasn't it? Everyone still awake? Good, share a "Flashback" with me!

3 comments: